January 16, 2018
by Abundant Health™
Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus x paradisi) is cold-pressed from the fruit rinds. This oil is known for its clean, fresh, bitter, citrusy odor.
Grapefruit essential oil has antidepressant, antiseptic, disinfectant, diuretic, stimulant, and tonic properties. This oil mainly affects the cardiovascular system.
Grapefruit has been used for many years by the French for cellulite, digestion, dyspepsia, lymphatic decongestion, and water retention. Today, grapefruit is commonly used to help with anorexia, appetite suppression, bulimia, cellulite, hangover, indigestion, obesity, overeating, postpartum depression, and weight loss.
Grapefruit oil can also be used to help with depression, drug withdrawal, fatigue, gallstones, jet lag, liver disorders, and stress. It is also known to have a cleansing effect on the kidneys, lymphatic system, and vascular system.
The aroma of this essential oil may help prevent one from drowning in negativity, as it is balancing and uplifting to the mind and helps to relieve anxiety.
Since the properties of grapefruit oil are very similar to other citrus oils, they can be substituted in many cases.
Safety Data: Unlike other citrus oils, grapefruit does not cause photosensitivity, so it can be used as a substitute for other citrus oils when immediate exposure to the sun is unavoidable. This oil is generally regarded as safe for human consumption by the FDA and can be used as a flavoring agent in food. Not for children under 6 years old; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 years old and over.
Ways to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- Diffuse grapefruit oil to help calm and soothe withdrawal symptoms and food cravings.
- This oil works well in treating cellulite. Try combining 5 drops grapefruit oil with 1 tsp. (5 ml) jojoba oil in a 5 ml roll-on bottle, and apply on location.
- Grapefruit is known to help stabilize emotions and relieve tension and anxiety. Combine 4 drops grapefruit, 2 drops sandalwood, and 1 drop lavender for an uplifting and balancing diffuser blend.
- Combine 2 drops grapefruit, 2 drops lavender, 1 drop lemon, and 1 drop peppermint with 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of your favorite massage butter for a relaxing massage cream. Lightly massage onto the desired location.
- Grapefruit essential oil is great for baths because of its many health properties and uplifting aroma. Try some of these blends by adding the oils to 1 cup (240 g) epsom salt. Add 1/2 of the mixture to a running bath, and enjoy!
5 drops grapefruit
2 drops rosemary
1 drop juniper berry
3 drops grapefruit
3 drops lemon
2 drops basil
1 drop juniper berry
1 drop oregano
|Relax & Energize Salts
2 drops lime
2 drops grapefruit
2 drops tangerine
2 drops spearmint
To learn more about grapefruit essential oil and many other pure essential oils, see the Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley.
Source: Reference Guide for Essential Oils, 2017 Edition.