Autumn is here! Time for crisp weather, crunching leaves, and delicious baked treats. Fill your home with the essence of the season by simmering your favorite essential oils, spices, and fruits. Not only does simmering fresh potpourri make your house smell warm and inviting, but it also helps humidify the home a bit.
[recipe title=”Autumn Simmering Potpourri” time=”5 minutes active” difficulty=”Easy”]
- Cinnamon sticks
- Apple peels
- Orange rinds (Dry them ahead of time or use fresh peels.)
- Whole cloves
- Homemade Pure Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Clove essential oil
- Fill a saucepan with water, and bring to a boil. Add the ingredients from the list and several drops of each essential oil.
- Boil for a few minutes; then turn the heat down to simmer all day.
- Add water as needed, and check the pot every half-hour or so to prevent burning.
This recipe is one suggestion. You can use different amounts and mix up ingredients as you like. Save your orange, lemon, and lime peels and apple skins, and add whatever spices and essential oils you love.
*Do not leave the house while potpourri is simmering.