It’s cold outside, and kids can only play out in the snow for so long; so it’s time to find some inside activities to keep them entertained. These finger paints are easy to make and fun to play with! Make it a full sensory experience by adding essential oil scents!
[recipe title=”Essential Oil–Scented Finger Paints” servings=”Yield=2 cups (480 ml)” time=”15–20 minutes” difficulty=”Easy”]
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 2 cups (480 ml) cold water
- 1 heaping Tbsp. (10 g) cornstarch
- Plastic bottles
- Food coloring
- Essential oils
- In a medium-sized pot, whisk together cold water and cornstarch. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Pour the mixture into plastic bottles, and add a different color of food coloring to each bottle. Stir with a bamboo skewer (adding more if needed) until you achieve your desired color.
- Add a drop of essential oil to each bottle of paint, and stir in the essential oil with the bamboo skewer. Be sure to choose essential oils that are safe for children.
- Twist the lids onto your bottles, and your paint is ready to enjoy!
NOTE: It’s fun to choose oil scents that go along with each color, and this also makes for a fun sensory experience. For example, mix a drop of lemon oil with the yellow paint, a drop of lavender oil with the purple paint, etc.