Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil is steam-distilled from the flowering tops of the lavender plant. This highly versatile oil contains analgesic, anticoagulant, anticonvulsive, antidepressant, antifungal, antihistamine, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antimutagenic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, antitumor, cardiotonic, regenerative, and sedative health properties. Lavender is well known for its floral, sweet, herbaceous, and balsamic aroma.
Lavender essential oil is commonly used to help with acne, alertness, allergies (airborne), allergies (skin), anxiety, blisters, burns, calming, chapped lips, chicken pox, concentration, cooling, dandruff, depression, dry skin, hair loss, heatstroke, high blood pressure, hives, indigestion, inflammation, insomnia, itching, measles, mosquito bites, nausea, pain, physical stress, postpartum depression, relaxing, scarring, sleep, stretch marks, sunburn, tension, wounds, and wrinkles. Aromatically, lavender essential oil promotes consciousness, health, love, peace, and a general sense of well-being.
This essential oil affects the following body systems: cardiovascular system, emotional balance, nervous system, and skin. Other possible uses may include arthritis, asthma, boils, bronchitis, cold sores, depression, fainting, hay fever, headaches, insect bites and bee stings, infection, mental clarity, respiratory function, sprains, and throat infections.
Lavender essential oil is recognized by the FDA as safe for human consumption. Use with caution and in greater dilution when unsure. This oil can be used neat (with no dilution).
Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil:
- Diffuser blends are a great way to reap the benefits of lavender essential oil. The sweet, floral aroma adds a nice touch to many diffuser blends. Below are a few diffuser blends that we have created that include lavender.
It’s a Great Day
2 drops lavender
2 drops lemon
2 drops rosemary
Relieve Your Stress
4 drops lavender
4 drops neroli or orange
Crisp & Clear
3 drops lemon
3 drops lime
2 drops rosemary
2 drops lavender
5 drops lavender
4 drops lemon
4 drops rosemary
2 drops peppermint
- Although not considered as a common flavoring, lavender essential oil actually adds a wonderful flavor to drinks, chocolate, and other dishes. Try out this delicious lavender lemonade that we have created! This lemonade can serve as an anxiety and headache reliever, all while helping you feel calm and refreshed.
- Lavender is well known for its calming and relaxing properties, so why not use it to help calm your children when they get rambunctious? Just combine 6 drops lavender, 5 drops ylang ylang, and 2 drops Roman chamomile with 1/4 cup (50 ml) water in a small spray bottle. Shake, and mist into the air to help calm your children.
- Lavender essential oil contains powerful properties that are extremely beneficial to your skin and help to relax and rejuvenate your body. Here are some of the recipes we have come up with that utilize these properties in your everyday body care products. Give them a try and let us know what you think!
- Lavender’s relaxing and calming properties can also aid ADD/ADHD. Combine 3 drops lavender and 3 drops basil on an essential oil pendant, and simply wear throughout the day to breathe in the oils.
See the Reference Guide for Essential Oils to learn more about lavender essential oil and many other pure essential oils.
Reference Guide for Essential Oils, 2018 Edition, pp. 113–14.