It can be a challenge to balance your diet and get in all of your veggies. These tomato bowls are full of protein and veggies and make a light and delicious luncheon dish or a side to a larger meal.
Chicken Salad in a Tomato Bowl
- 6–10 tomatoes (depending on what size you choose)
- 2 cups (about 280 g) cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. (18 g) red onion, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, diced (we washed the peel and kept it on for more fiber and vitamin K)
- 1/2 cup (75 g) mini sweet peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 drop cilantro essential oil
- 1 Tbsp. (4 g) fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) mustard
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the top of each tomato, and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Pour out any remaining water inside.
- Combine chicken, red onion, celery, cucumber, and peppers in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the oils, parsley, mayo, mustard, sour cream, and salt and pepper.
- Combine the oil mixture with the chopped ingredients, and stir until well coated.
- Spoon the chicken salad into the tomato bowls, and garnish with more fresh parsley.
Serve right away, or chill in the refrigerator for up to a day. Best when served fresh.