Sometimes our toilets need a little freshening, so why not give them some essential oil love? These tablets are made out of baking soda, citric acid, water, and essential oils and will fizz when dropped in water. As the tablet fizzes in the toilet, it can help loosen grime, making the toilet easier to clean, and provide a lovely scent to help your bathroom smell great!
Toilet Freshener Tablets
- 1 1/2 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 tsp. water (more if needed)
- 80–90 drops desired essential oils (We used 20 drops each of lemon, peppermint, rosemary, and orange.)
- 15 ml spray bottle (An “empty” oil bottle with a spray top works well.)
- Silicone mold, ice cube tray, etc.
- 16 oz. PET Jars or other air-tight container to store the toilet freshener tablets
- In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and citric acid.
- Add the water and essential oils to the 15 ml spray bottle, and shake to combine. A funnel may help with this process.
- Gently spray the essential oil/water solution into the dry mixture as you stir, until all of the oils have been added. Using the spray bottle helps minimize the fizzing action as the water is added to the citric acid.
- Once you have sprayed out all of the essential oil/water solution, test the mixture by squeezing a little in your hand to see if it clumps together. If it doesn’t clump well, add a little more water to the spray bottle, and continue spraying the mixture and stirring just until it can can form a good clump.
- Transfer the mixture to your mold or ice cube tray, and pack down firmly. A silicone mold works really well for this and allows the tablets to come out nicely once dry.
- Allow the tablets to dry for several hours or overnight before using.
- Store your toilet freshener tablets in an air tight container such as these PET jars.
- To use, simply place 1 tablet in the toilet, and let it fizz and release its aroma. Depending on the essential oils used, these tablets may help loosen grime and make the toilet easier to scrub, or they can simply be used to help freshen the scent of the bathroom.