Make something sweet for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day. These delicious sweet rolls will say “I love you” in a big way.
Strawberry Lemon Sweet Rolls
- Sweet dough (see recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- Strawberry filling (see recipe below)
- Lemon frosting (see recipe below)
- On a floured surface, roll out sweet dough in a rectangle shape about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread butter evenly across rolled out dough.
- Spoon strawberry filling onto dough, and spread evenly.
- Starting on one of the long ends, roll dough up tightly into one long roll. (Note: if a lot of the strawberry filling squeezes out while you are rolling, you can spoon some of it back on top of the sweet rolls before baking.)
- Using a long strand of dental floss, cut the rolls to about 1 inch thick, and place them in a greased baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with a clean towel, and place strawberry rolls in a warm place to rise.
- Once the sweet rolls have doubled in bulk, bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15–20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Allow the strawberry rolls to cool slightly, and then spread the lemon frosting on top.
- Serve warm or cold—either way is delicious!
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 1/2–3 cups flour
- 1 egg
- In an stand mixer bowl with a dough hook, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, and butter.
- Add 1 cup of flour and the egg to make a batter; mix for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining flour, and mix until well incorporated to form a soft dough.
- Remove dough from mixture, knead a few times, and then place in a greased bowl with a towel over it.
- Place dough in a warm place to rise until double in bulk.
- 2 cups strawberries, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- Place strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat, and warm until the berries start to release their juices, stirring frequently.
- Stir together the sugar and the cornstarch, and then stir them into the strawberries.
- Continue heating until the mixture start to thicken, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon essential oil, and place in the fridge to cool.
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1–2 Tbsp. milk
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together melted butter and powdered sugar.
- Add lemon juice, and stir to incorporate.
- Add milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in lemon essential oil.
- Use to frost strawberry sweet rolls.