This all-natural makeup brush cleaner is effective at cleaning your brushes and leaves the bristles moisturized. Not only do the essential oils in this recipe leave a lovely scent on your brushes, but they are also great for your skin!
Makeup Brush Cleaner
- Shot Glasses or small glass bowls
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1–2 drops melaleuca (tea tree) essential oil
- 1–2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1–2 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Castile Soap
- Running water
- Paper towels
- Pour a little Fractionated Coconut Oil into a Shot Glass. Add essential oils, and stir to combine.
- Pour a little Castile Soap into another Shot Glass.
- Swirl your makeup brushes in the oil solution until you see the makeup stored in the brush start to come out (about 15–30 seconds). Rub against the palm of your hand or a paper towel to agitate it a little and loosen the makeup. Keep the bristles pointed down.
- Rinse the brush under warm running water. Gently squeeze the brush bristles until the water runs clear. Note: Make sure to point the bristles down during this whole process. If tipped with the bristles up, the oils and water may loosen the glue that holds the bristles to the brush and shorten the life of your brushes.
- Swirl the brush in the Castile Soap for 15 seconds, and rinse again with warm water. This helps remove the oils from the brush.
- Gently squeeze all liquid from the brush, and hang your brushes to dry (bristles pointed down) or let dry flat on a towel.