A lot of parents are concerned about their children being inside too much. Screen time can easily dominate what used to be outdoor play time. Children need to stay active and engage with nature and their own imaginations for good mental and physical health. If you feel like you’re running out of ideas and money to keep your kids active, sometimes simple things can be the answer—with an unexpected twist. Kids love to play with bubbles. While it’s sunny, add some fun to your kids’ bubbles by mixing in essential oils! They can enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy while playing outside.
Try adding your favorite essential oils to pre-made bubbles or to unscented dish soap thinned with a little water. Reuse old bubble containers and bubble wands, or have fun experimenting and creating your own bubble-blowing devices with items like yarn and mason jar rings. If you’re feeling ambitious, follow the recipe below for some DIY bubble fun!
[recipe title=”Scented Bubbles” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Vegetable Glycerin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Castile Soap
- 15–20 drops essential oil of choice (lemon, peppermint, and lavender smell great!)
- In a bottle or jar, mix water and glycerin until combined.
- Stir in castile soap (be gentle to prevent foaming).
- Stir in essential oils.
- Let sit for 1 hour before use for the best bubbles.
Get outside with the kids, and have fun playing with bubbles and breathing in the fresh air enhanced by the aroma of essential oils!