Bugs can ruin an otherwise lovely outdoor experience. But most store-bought repellents contain DEET and other harmful chemicals. If you want to keep your skin healthy, use the power of essential oils and their ability to deter insects. You can make your own spray-on repellent at home. It’s easy and quick!
There are many bug-repelling essential oils:
- Tea tree
Try the following recipe at home to repel nasty bugs and avoid insect bites.
[recipe title=”Homemade Insect Repellent” time=”5 minutes” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) witch hazel
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, or olive oil (or a combination)
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Vegetable Glycerin (as a preservative)
- 55 drops eucalyptus essential oil (not recommended for use on children under 3 yrs.)
- 15 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- Pour carrier oil into a small spray bottle.
- Add essential oils.
- Shake well before each use.
Reapply every few hours for maximum effectiveness.