This is a delicious breakfast option for springtime. By replacing cooking oil with Greek yogurt, you get a lower fat, higher protein muffin that is moist and yummy. Lemon essential oil adds tang and health benefits!
[recipe title=”Lemon Poppyseed Muffins” servings=”12″ time=”10 minutes; 15-20 minutes inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup butter (4 Tbsp.)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 8 drops lemon essential oil
- ¾ cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 450° F. (230° C) and grease a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon essential oil.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Fill muffin tins about ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 12-16 minutes (until an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
- Cool on a wire rack.
These muffins are also delightful drizzled with a sweet lemon glaze (recipe below).
[recipe title=”Sweet Lemon Glaze”]
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- While muffins are cooling, whisk together sugar, milk, and lemon essential oil in a small bowl.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.