Just when we think cold and flu season is over, it seems to start back up again. According to the CDC, flu season has just peaked, which means it’ll be a while before it’s through. Thankfully, essential oils are great at helping you fight the symptoms and find relief before your sickness gets worse.
Generally, essential oils and blends that help with cold symptoms include tea tree, lemon, Thieves, rosemary, thyme, RC, basil, copaiba, and eucalyptus.
To help relieve your cold, combine 5 drops lemon and 5 drops thyme with 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) jojoba oil. Rub the mixture on your back, chest, throat, and back of neck 2–3 times a day.
Essential oils and blends that help with influenza include tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, eucalyptus, RC, Raven, Thieves, clove, copaiba, ginger, and lavender.
Diffuser blends are also a great way to help fight cold and flu viruses! Simply add a blend to your diffuser, and breathe in the aroma to clear your head and fight the germs. Here are a couple blends to try.
When it comes to cold and flu, there are so many different viral strains that these illnesses can be difficult to treat. Each person might experience different symptoms, so here are some ideas to help them.
Coughs: RC, frankincense, eucalyptus, tea tree, myrtle, cedarwood, peppermint, sandalwood, Thieves.
- Mix 1 drop eucalyptus and 1 drop lemon with 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) honey. Slowly stir a third of the honey mixture into 1 c. (240 ml) warm water, and drink slowly. Repeat multiple times a day.
- Combine 1 drop eucalyptus, 1 drop tea tree, and 1 drop lemon with 1 tsp. (5 ml) jojoba oil, and apply over chest and back.
Stuffy Nose/Congestion: Eucalyptus, peppermint, RC, Di-Gize, Breathe Again, cedarwood, coriander, cypress, fennel, ginger, rosemary.
- Drop 2 drops eucalyptus and 1 drop peppermint in the corner of the shower stall or bathtub ledge before showering, and breathe in the vapors.
Nausea: Ginger, peppermint, AromaEase, lavender, cardamom, clove, Di-Gize, juniper, nutmeg, rosewood, spearmint, tarragon.
- Add 2 drops ginger to a bowl of hot water, and inhale the warm vapor rising from the surface.
Sore Throat: Thieves, tea tree, oregano, eucalyptus, bergamot, geranium, ginger, lavender, sandalwood, thyme.
- Add 4 drops Thieves and 1 tsp. salt to 1/4 c. (60 ml) warm water, and stir until dissolved. Gargle the solution for 30 seconds, and then spit it out. Repeat multiple times a day, or until the sore throat is gone.
- Mix 3 drops eucalyptus and 2 drops lemon with 1 tsp. (5 ml) honey. Dissolve the honey mixture in 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) warm water. Pour into a small spray bottle, shake
well,and spray 3–4 times into your throat as needed.
Fever: Peppermint, lemon, lime, eucalyptus, clove, basil, bergamot, fennel, fir, ginger, lavender, tea tree.
- Blend 2 drops peppermint and 2 drops eucalyptus in a bowl of cool water. Dip a washcloth in the water, and use it to sponge your forehead, back of neck, and feet.
Here are other posts that will help you deal with cold or flu.
For more ideas and specific usage methods, consult the Reference Guide for Essential Oils.