Summer wouldn’t be summer without some tasty fruity sorbet. But we just can’t handle the amount of sugar found in most frozen treats! Well, good news for you—this sorbet contains agave as an alternative to refined sugar and incorporates essential oils to make it even better for you. And let’s just talk about how amazing it tastes! This sweet treat didn’t last very long for us; people of all ages ate it up. This is truly a treat you can feel good about eating without sacrificing flavor. Give it a go, and you’ll be coming back for more in no time!
Orange Basil Sorbet
- 6 oranges
- 1 cup (250 ml) agave nectar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 drop orange essential oil
- 1 toothpick basil essential oil
- Cut the oranges in half, scoop all of the fruit into a bowl, and set aside. Try to keep the shells in tact so that you can use them as serving bowls later.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the agave nectar and water to a boil over low heat.
- While you are waiting for the mixture to boil, place the fruit into a blender, and puree completely.
- Once the agave and water are boiling, stir in the lemon juice and orange puree.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, and freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, and scoop the mixture into the blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the essential oils, and blend once more.
- Place the mixture in a bowl again, and return it to the freezer for at least an hour or until you are ready to serve.
- Scoop the sorbet into the empty orange shells, and serve!
You can freeze the sorbet for longer than the initial 4 hours. We froze ours overnight, blended it in the morning, froze it again most of the day, then served it later that afternoon. The time listed in the instructions is the recommended time allotment, but it can be modified to fit your schedule.
You can leave this sorbet in the freezer for up to 1 week.