Here’s a nice twist on a baked potato! Sweet potatoes are much healthier for you than white potatoes, and they taste amazing topped with this barbecue chicken! The barbecue sauce is homemade, super simple, and includes essential oils to boot. Your whole family will love this recipe—and you’ll love how easy it is to make this healthy dinner!
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2–3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup (250 ml) Essential Oil Barbecue Sauce (recipe below)
- Sour cream
- Extra barbecue sauce
- Onion slices
- Prepare the barbecue sauce as directed. Place 1 cup (250 ml) in a bag with the chicken breasts, and refrigerate to marinate for a few hours.
- Place the marinated chicken in a slow cooker on high for 1–2 hours, or until cooked through.
- Without preheating the oven, place your potatoes in the oven; then turn the oven to 425°F (220°C), and bake for for 45 minutes. You can also cook the sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker for 17 minutes on high pressure if you prefer.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using forks or a hand mixer. Add more bbq sauce to the chicken until the desired taste is reached.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and top with chicken and other toppings. You can add any toppings of your choice, not just the ones listed.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Essential Oil Barbecue Sauce
- 15 oz. (425 g) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (23 ml) mustard
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) hickory liquid smoke
- 1/2 Tbsp. (about 7 g) sea salt
- 1 tsp. (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp. (2.5 g) onion powder
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) molasses
- 1/4 cup (65 g) brown sugar
- 2–3 drops black pepper essential oil
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- If you have a high-speed blender, use the soup setting, and it will heat and blend your sauce at the same time.
- If you have a regular blender, blend on high for a minute; then transfer contents to a saucepan until heated thoroughly.
- Serve in your favorite dishes calling for barbecue sauce.