The constant movement and demands of life can disconnect you from your inner self. Stress and anxiety can reduce your productivity and endanger your health. It is helpful to take the time to reconnect with yourself and with the world around you in meaningful, centered ways. Meditation is a good way to relax your mind and decrease stress and anxiety.
Meditation has proven health benefits. It lowers stress, which then lowers the probability of stress-related health issues such as high blood pressure, hypertension, inflammation, and heart problems.
High-quality essential oils can enhance the advantages of meditation. Fragrances have long been an important part of meditation in every culture that practices it.
Lavender: calms and relaxes the mind and body
- Vetiver: grounding, helps focus wandering thoughts
- Neroli: promotes self-acceptance, helps one face fears
- Rose: opens the heart to receive love, promotes a deeper connection to the spirit world
- Frankincense: increases faith and connection with spirit
- Myrrh: reduces stress and brings focus
- Sage: cleanses and purifies, restores balance
- Cedarwood: helps focus inward and illuminate one’s spiritual path
- Sandalwood: helps heal emotions and promotes trust
These oils promote a calm mind and increase focus during individual meditation. Diffuse these essential oils, or mix them with carrier oils such as sweet almond oil or jojoba oil, and rub them into your skin.
It is important to clear your mind and only let in positive thoughts at the beginning of each day and especially after a long or difficult day. Lay down or sit in a comfortable position. Breathe in deeply through your nose and slowly out through your mouth. Allow warmth and light to fill your mind. Sometimes repeating a key word or positive phrase in your mind can be an empowering way to center yourself. Some people prefer to combine this time with affirmations or prayer. It only takes a few minutes to relax your body and calm your mind, but it can make a difference in how you feel throughout the day.
See the Reference Guide for Essential Oils to learn more about how essential oils can be used to promote health.