Skin needs vitamin D from the sun, but it also needs protection to prevent burns. Sunscreen from the store can be expensive and often has chemicals that are not healthy for your skin. Why not make your own all-natural sunscreen at home?
There are several essential oils that are great to nourish your skin and protect it from the harmful effects of the sun:
- Carrot Seed
- Roman Chamomile
*Do not use citrus oils in a sunscreen or apply citrus oils when going out in the sun.
Good carrier oils to use in homemade sunscreen include the following:
- Grape Seed
- Sweet Almond
You can create your own combinations to see which work best for you. If you like a sunscreen with a thicker texture, essential oils can be added to an all-natural lotion, or you can try this recipe:
- 1 Tbsp. (14 g) Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp. (24 g) Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) Jojoba Oil
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) Vitamin E Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) aloe vera gel
- 5 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops helichrysum essential oil
Warm the shea butter and coconut oil until soft. Mix in the other ingredients, and stir thoroughly. Put this natural sunscreen in a container and take it along with you on your next outing in the sun.