Most store-bought lotions promise to nourish your skin and make it soft and healthy. But the truth is, they are often made with chemicals and fillers that harm the natural balance of your skin or cause waxy buildup that actually prevents the skin from breathing and absorbing moisture. By making your own lotion, you can decide for yourself what goes into it—and onto your skin. This recipe is made of the best natural ingredients to make your skin look and feel amazing.
DIY Luxurious Lotion
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1/4 oz. (7 g) Cocoa Butter (about 4 wafers)
- 1/2 oz. (14 g) Beeswax Pellets (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/4 oz. (36 g) Coconut Oil (about 2 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Sweet Almond Oil (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Fractionated Coconut Oil (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Jojoba Oil (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 4 1/2 oz. (135 ml) distilled water (1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp.)
- 25 drops essential oil of your choice
- Acrylic Lotion Pump Bottle (or other lotion container)
- Melt cocoa butter and beeswax pellets in a double boiler over low heat. Add the coconut oil, and continue heating until almost melted. Remove from heat, and stir until everything is melted together.
- Stir in the sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, and jojoba oil.
- Heat distilled water until warm.
- Using a hand mixer, start beating water, and slowly add the oil mixture while continuing to beat. Beat for a few minutes. As you blend, you will notice the lotion thicken. Let stand for a few minutes. If lotion separates during this time, blend again for a couple more minutes. If it doesn’t separate, then it has emulsified properly.
- Mix in the essential oil.
- Pour lotion into a plastic zip-top bag. Snip off a corner of the bag, and squeeze the lotion into your container of choice.
- To use, pump a little into your hand, and massage into the skin as needed.