This homemade dough is a great way to encourage your children’s creativity while also exposing them to the aromatic benefits of essential oils. Some great options are: lime for uplifting, lemon for clarity, lavender for calming, orange for energizing, grapefruit for relieving tension, and peppermint for invigoration. We made three separate batches and chose lime for green, lavender for blue, and peppermint for pink.
Aromatic Play Dough
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Food coloring
- 6–8 drops of your choice of essential oils
- Blend the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together.
- Add to a saucepan and stir in the water, cooking oil, and food coloring. Mix until smooth.
- Heat on medium-low, and stir until the mixture forms a ball.
- Once the play dough is the right consistency, remove it from the heat and let it cool for 3–4 minutes.
- Knead in the essential oils.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge to keep it fresh longer.