Most people would agree that chocolate is an essential for Valentine’s Day. Creating your own chocolates for yourself or your sweetheart is fun and easy:
- Melt a bag of organic chocolate chips in the microwave or a double boiler. Add 1 tsp. (4 g) coconut oil, and stir in.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil(s) to give your chocolate a delicious and healthy kick.
- Spoon over your favorite nuts on wax paper, or pour into fun candy molds.
- Let cool until hardened. Then enjoy!
Here are some of the best essential oils to couple with chocolate:
- Peppermint: There is nothing like that combination of rich, dark chocolate with the fresh crispness of peppermint. (Peppermint works best with dark chocolate.)
- Orange: Orange and chocolate are, of course, a match made in heaven. Tangerine is equally delicious.
- Lemon: A little lemony zing brings a bright and tangy flavor to chocolate.
- Lime: This works well with both dark and white chocolate. Try making some white chocolate truffles with a little lime oil, and then dip the truffles in dark chocolate—it’s a great combo!
- Bergamot: This oil is used to flavor earl grey tea and works equally well to flavor chocolate.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass adds an unexpected and pleasant zing. It’s strong, though, so don’t add too much.
- Cardamom: This is a classic partner for chocolate.
- Ginger: A little ginger oil with a dash of cinnamon powder makes for a delicious and unique chocolate.
Chocolates make a great gift any time of year. And chocolates made with essential oil have a special gourmet flavor with added health benefits!