This colorful dish is both healthy and delicious! The tilapia and rice can each be eaten alone, but together they make the perfect meal!
Lime Tilapia and Orange Cashew Rice
Orange Cashew Rice:
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) water (or less if using a rice cooker or pressure cooker)
- 1 cup (240 ml) orange juice
- 2 drops orange essential oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup (195 g) basmati rice
- 1/2 cup (70 g) cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup (75 g) diced yellow, orange, and/or red peppers
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 can (8 oz./227 g) mandarin orange segments, drained well
- 4 tilapia fillets (6–8 oz./170–227 g)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 pats of butter (about 1/2 Tbsp./7 g each)
- 4 drops lime essential oil, divided
- Lime juice and/or lime slices for garnish
- In a saucepan, bring olive oil, water, orange juice, orange essential oil, and salt to boil. Stir in basmati rice. Lower the heat, cover, and allow to simmer until the rice has absorbed all the liquid (about 25–30 minutes). Remove from heat, and let stand for 5–10 minutes. Note: If using a rice cooker or pressure cooker, reduce the amount of water to create the proper rice-to-liquid ratio that is recommended for your cooking method.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the tilapia. Preheat the oven to 375° F. (190° C.). Spray a cooking sheet or baking dish with cooking spray. Rinse the tilapia fillets, and pat dry. Place fillets in a single layer on your baking dish. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Add a pat of butter to each fillet, and drop a single drop of lime essential oil on top of each pat of butter. Bake for 8–12 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the tilapia is in the oven, finish the rice ingredients. Roast cashew pieces in a saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes until they turn golden brown. Dice peppers and mince green onions. Mix together roasted cashew pieces, peppers, green onions, and mandarin orange segments in a bowl. Stir into rice when it’s ready.
- Once tilapia is finished cooking, drizzle lime juice over the top and garnish with lime slices, if desired. Serve the Lime Tilapia with the Orange Cashew Rice.