When the weather is chilly, there is nothing quite like curling up in a blanket and sipping some hot chocolate!
The coconut milk in this recipe provides that delightfully creamy, rich texture and taste and pairs well with thinner milks like almond milk or rice milk. The nice thing about this recipe is that it can be adapted easily to be vegan or sugar-free. Stevia, agave, honey, or maple syrup are good alternatives to the sugar. Just start with a little bit of sweetener, and then add more to your taste preference.
Rich, Yet Healthy, Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar or other sweetener
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (shake before opening)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (almond or rice milk work too)
- 1–2 drops peppermint essential oil
- In a saucepan, mix together the cocoa powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add coconut milk, and heat until combined.
- Slowly add milk while continuing to stir. Keep stirring until little bubbles start to form on the surface.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly. Stir in a drop or two of peppermint essential oil.
- Pour into mugs, and serve. Warning: It will be hot, so allow the hot chocolate to cool to a reasonable temperature before drinking.
Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, or ground peppermint candy.