This kind of frosting is great anytime of the year! It is so easy—you can whip it up by hand in a matter of minutes. It seems fairly thin when you first mix it up, but this makes it much easier to spread onto cookies, cake, cupcakes, or whatever you are decorating. After a few hours, it thickens up to be a wonderful consistency and a full and fluffy appearance!
Please make sure that you use food-safe essential oils in this frosting. Not all essential oils are for internal use. Therapeutic-grade essential oils are of the highest quality and many are food-safe. Check the labels to make sure the oils you choose are safe for internal use before using them in this frosting.
For these Christmas sugar cookies, we used 3 drops of peppermint essential oil and green food coloring. The peppermint oil brought a delightfully perfect amount of minty taste to the cookies!
Whipped Frosting with Essential Oils
- 1 (8 oz.) container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3.5 oz.) package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1–3 drops of food coloring (if desired)
- 1–3 drops of the food-safe essential oil of your choice
- In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix with milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Gently fold in whipped topping until no streaks remain.
- Add 1–3 drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Add 1–3 drops of the food-safe essential oil of your choice, and mix thoroughly.
- Spread evenly over cookies, cake, or cupcakes.